2018 Budget Update
The Government handed down the 2018/19 Federal Budget on Tuesday 8th May 2018. Some of the important proposals include:
- The introduction of the 'Low and Middle Income Tax Offset', a temporary non-refundable tax offset of up to $530 p.a. to Australian resident low and middle income taxpayers for the 2019 to 2022 income years. This offset will apply in addition to the Low Income Tax Offset.
- Providing tax relief for individual taxpayers by progressively increasing some of the tax brackets (including an increase in the top threshold of the 32.5% personal income tax bracket from $87,000 to $90,000 from 1 July 2018), and eventually removing the 37% tax bracket entirely.
- The $20,000 immediate write-off for small business will be extended by a further 12 months to 30 June 2019 (i.e., for businesses with aggregated annual turnover less than $10 million).
- From 1 July 2019:
– Increasing the maximum number of allowable members in an SMSF from four to six members;
– Ensuring that unpaid present entitlements (or ‘UPEs’) come within the scope of Division 7A; and
– Denying deductions for expenses associated with holding vacant residential or commercial land.
If you would like to discuss this please contact our office.